Thursday, March 7, 2013

Pan Dulce

Today for my international health class we had to bring a cultural dish to share with the class.

I talked to my friend at work yesterday about some possible dishes I could do from Brazil that would be easy - cheese puffs or lime mousse. Perfect.

Around 11:30 PM last night I realized that I didn't have tapioca flour for the cheese puffs. Usually when there is an ingredient that I am lacking, I don't worry about it too much! That's what Google and experimenting are for. (This is coming from someone who attempted eggless lemon bars.) I soon found that there is really no good substitution for this ingredient. Plan - gone.

So then I started to consider all of our rich cultural traditions! And

BOOM

Like a ton of tamales it hit me ...

PAN DULCE! 



So I looked up a recipe on All Recipes and made some this morning.

I will admit it didn't have that authentic day old taste, nor did it match the experience of getting pan dulce in a sweet Mexican bakery - but by golly, it tasted great!

I don't care what everyone says every year - I LOVE this stuff.

Let's add it to our tamale tradition, shall we?


No comments:

Post a Comment